Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Parenting: On Breastfeeding and Formula Feeding



I gave birth to my second child last July 7, 2014. I was supposedly on scheduled caesarian section by July 8 but then my little boy can't wait to come out. During the last days of my pregnancy, as i was preparing the things for my baby, i already included the breast pump and other breastfeeding(BF) because i am sure i will be breastfeeding my newborn which i wasn't able to do to my eldest.

My friend joined me in a facebook group of mothers who are breastfeeding and it taught be a lot about the do's and don't about breastfeeding. Reading the mom's(and dad's) post of their BF daily journeys,  from babies latching problems, to nipple sore, to in laws, etc. This group opened my mind on how to properly provide "liquid gold" to my son. There have been numerous ways, advices, foods and gadgets to produce more milk.




As i opened my eyes after the operation, i asked the nurse where my baby was because i wanted to breastfeed him. The nurse then get my baby and had him latched on my breast. It was just a few minutes of feeding as I am still groggy from the operation. At our room in the hospital, when my son was roomed-in, my mom assisted me in breastfeeding. Feeding the baby should be on-demand, every time he is hungry. but there were times i am asleep and i wasn't able to feed him, thus giving him a formula milk.

In our house, i really wanted to give my son as much breastmilk as i can provide. I had been taking malunggay supplements, taking lots of soups (with malunggay), eating ashitaba leaves, drinking milo, drinking lots of water, and eating healthy just to increase my milk supply. On the first two weeks my milk supply is okay but not enough to exclusively breastfeed my baby. As my little boy latched on me, the longest would be 30mins on each side, he is still hungry and looking for more. After giving a formula milk, he will then be satisfied and fall asleep.  I already took malunggay supplements twice daily but still my supply is decreasing. Up until the one month mark, i stopped breastfeeding because i really feel frustrated in looking for ways to increase my milk and my baby got confused already with my nipple to the bottle nipple. Some other frustrations that i had was when my caregiver throw my hard earned pumped 2 oz. breastmilk. When i found out what she did, i broke down and cried whole day. That was the most milk that I pumped. After 2 days of the incident, I tried pumping again and as i am nearing to the 1oz mark,  the bottle fall of the bed and all the milk had spilled out. I broke down again and cried hard to my husband. It was this frustrations that made my milk supply decrease. I have no choice but to give my son the formula milk.

Reading the posts on the group  joined, they had been continually pushing every mom to exclusively breastfeed their babies. There are also links, news and write ups on how formula milks are bad for the babies. That formula milk came from cows. Cow feed a cow, human feed a human. So it is not proper to give a cows milk to a human.  I am not against them, but what if a mom cannot produce enough milk to feed their babies? (like me?) I have no choice but to give him formula milk.

My eldest daughter was formula fed from day one. Only having my milk for 3 days. But proud to say that she is a healthy little girl and never been confined to a hospital or clinic for any health reasons. Her vaccinations are complete as well.I have friends who are breastfeeding and i can say that my daughter is more healthy than their babies as most of the time their babies are at the hospital or most of the time is sick.

Here are some of the things that others say if you breastfeed

- your baby will be healthy and not sickly - i strongly disagree. my daughter is always healthy and she is formula fed from day one. Illness of kids are sometimes hereditary.

- your baby will be smart - strongly disagree. there are other kids who are breastfeed but very hard to cope up or are slow learners.Most of the time, being smart is genetically planted in ones system.

- your baby will gain weight faster -  gaining weight does not mean that a baby/kid is healthy.


- your breastmilk is cure to some skin allergies of babies - babies skin are sensitive,YES,  but there are commercially produced ointments or medicines to cure allergies that are specifically formulated for baby's sensitive skin.

- what mother's eat or drink will not affect the milk she produce - then why some babies cannot sleep when their mother drink coffee or soda? and why some babies got allergies when their mother eat allergenic foods?

- the breastmilk will be purified by the body and it will be the purest when the baby feeds.

- all mother's has a milk no matter how big or small it is - not all big breasts can produce huge amount of milk to exclusively provide milk to their babies and some small breasted moms can supply milk more than the others.

Providing your kids with the best is the first priority of a mother, giving them formula milk is not a sin but a way to nourish them so that they may live one day at a time. I had done my fair share in supplying my newborn son the most breastmilk i can give and the rest would be my own way in raising him.

To all the mothers, and mother's to be, advices are welcome but still it is your choice on what of that advice you think will best benefit your kid/s. Each of us is different and special individual. What is applicable to them might not be applicable to you. You may try some of the advices but don't get frustrated if you failed.

Motherhood is a continuous and enjoyable journey, just have a ride of your life!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Weirdest town names in America

  Weirdest town names in America