Friday, November 22, 2013

My Pregnancy Journey : Laboratory Tests

This is my fifth pregnancy but only 1 is full term. I already had 3 miscarriages and to ensure that this pregnancy will be on full term, I decided to look for a new OB who can take care of my situation.

My new OB, learning from my history of pregnancy, requested me to have series of laboratory tests in order to determine what may cause my constant miscarriages. Laboratories such as glucose level, hepatitis, thyroid function tests, hematology, and APAS. 











APAS Blood sample


Results are mostly within normal range except for the glucose level which go a little bit beyond the normal range. So after a week, she asked me to have a higher dose of glucose test (100ml OGTT) 

HOW OGTT IS DONE?

There is an 8hour fasting required in order to be legible for this test. Upon arriving at the clinic, the nurse extracted the first blood sample. Then she gave me a bottle of drink that needs to be consumed immediately. It is very sweet and thick and at one point i almost puked. One hour after i drink, there is another extraction of blood sample. There are 3rd and 4th extraction that is one hour apart. During the four hour extraction, i was not allowed to drink or eat or even walk/move for a long time. I was so exhausted and hungry that i cannot drive to go home anymore. Good thing my dear husband came by surprise at the clinic to fetch me.

The result is still beyond the normal range and i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weirdest town names in America

  Weirdest town names in America